Thermofluidics – Head of Operations
Join an exciting cleantech start-up that will revolutionise smallholder agriculture in developing countries and be part of the growth of an innovative and dynamic team.
Thermofluidics is looking for a full-time Head of Operations to ensure that our innovative and dynamic team will deliver through an exciting period of growth. We have just been awarded funding for the next 3+ years to test our award-winning pump (that works with heat not electricity) in India and Kenya to provide irrigation for smallholders in developing countries in partnership with leading corporate and NGO partners.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who can continue to build our first class team. Based in Oxford, you will bring on-the-ground practical experience and an ability to manage the continuous development of our pilot projects in the UK, France, Africa and India. We are looking for a self-starter who will thrive in a start-up environment and will lay the grounds for our future development and scalability.
In this role, you will be expected to:
1. Be motivated, structured, innovative and flexible about getting the job done
2. Supporting the engineering and design teams by:
- Ensuring they are highly productive and well supported (e.g. resourced, trained and equipped) in the field across different geographies (e.g. UK, France, India and Kenya)
- Make proactive travel and accommodation arrangements as necessary.
- Support supply requisitions, including order processing, purchasing and oversight of all purchase order administration, chasing suppliers as needed and ensuring value for money by querying invoices as appropriate
3. Assist CEO/CTO in:
- Managing, negotiating and maintaining third-party supplier, partner and funder relationships and contracts
- Maintaining office records and central filing systems, liaising with our accountants and lawyers
- Keeping on top of IP filing deadlines
- Monitoring progress against financial objectives by helping prepare annual budgets (e.g. for reporting and board meetings), scheduling out expenditure, analysing variances and initiating corrective actions
- Organising/hosting project governance review meetings with project sponsors and partners
- Monitoring project progress against objectives including progress on schedule, deliverables, costs, resources, dependencies and risks
4. Supporting the team to help ensure:
- Everyone fulfils their potential by managing HR-related matters
- Health and Safety documentation is kept up to date
- Supporting strong, clear communications by:
- Ensuring key announcements and information is circulated, meetings are facilitated and assistance provided to new-hires.
- Maintaining both website and social media communications.
The candidate will demonstrate and have the following attributes:
- Highly entrepreneurial and self-motivated with a hands on approach
- Highly organised with an ability to multi-task, work under pressure and manage a busy workload to tight deadlines
- Proactive and able to take the initiative
- Good attitude, flexible, and adaptable nature
- Sound commercial instinct and experience to successfully balance tactical decisions with strategic objectives
- Strong and proven project management skills (ideally demonstrated in an engineering start-up) with at least at least three years’ experience in project/programme management roles
- Financial planning and budget management experience
- Track record in managing multiple partner and stakeholder relationships both internally and externally
- Proven contract management experience
- Demonstrable reporting and project planning skills
- Experience of risk management
- High integrity
- Good inter-personal skills
- Microsoft Office experience
- Existing start-up or fast-growth experience
- Experience working in developing countries
- Foreign languages
- Full, clean, driving licence
What is in it for you?
- An opportunity to fulfil a dynamic role with an exciting and fast-growing cleantech start-up in the UK and play a key role in improving smallholder farmers’ quality of life in developing countries.
- You will play a central role in Thermofluidics’ growth, ensuring that our partners and funders’ expectations are exceeded and that operational efficiency is constantly improved.
- We believe this could be a great opportunity for the right person and look forward to you joining our team.
Competitive (c.£45k – negotiable), depending on experience.
Closing date for applications
30th April 2015
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview during May.
Note: Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
Thermofluidics is committed to equal opportunity.